What road are you on? The Road to High School, a blog for eighth grade students at All Saints Catholic School in Spokane, Washington.

Friday, March 09, 2007

NCCE Day 3

No pictures or videos today--there wasn't really anything new to show you. I did have something embarassing happen to me, though. I was in a workshop led by Will Richardson, who is pretty much the godfather of educational blogs, and he was showing us how blogs might change in the future. We were all seated in nice conference chairs looking at this big screen where he was projecting websites for us to look at, while he spoke from a raised platform at the front of the conference room. Well, he wanted to show us how easy it is becoming to place audio and video into blogs, so he clicked on over to Youtube to find a random video to put in his blog. He said something like, "Let's see if anyone's posted any video of the convention," and he typed in "NCCE." And suddenly there I was, larger than life on the screen, because I had tagged my convention videos "NCCE." Will said to the audience, "Looks like somebody has posted some. Anybody you know?"

I don't know why I got so embarassed, but my heart started slamming against my chest, and it was hard for me to breathe. A teacher from Cataldo was sitting next to me and she said, "Is that you?" I nodded and tried to slink down lower in my chair. Will began to play the video but the Internet connection was very slow, so he stopped it after a few seconds.

As I look back, I notice I had two conflicting emotions during the experience. On the one hand, I was very self-conscious about other people finding out that I had made these videos, and maybe thinking that they were amateur and silly. And on the other hand, I was proud of making them because I'm a bit shy and it had taken some courage to take the pictures and the videos with everyone watching me. The self-conscious part of me was glad that the Internet connection was slow, but the proud part was disappointed that it didn't get to play all the way through. But I do have the satisfaction of hearing Will Richardson say that what he saw looked "pretty good."

Comments on "NCCE Day 3"

 

Blogger Will Richardson said ... (6:40 AM) : 

Hey...you should've let us know it was your video! Really interesting post about it nonetheless. Thanks for the kind words.

Best,

Will

 

post a comment